Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Expanding and Change

In my last segment, I covered my marketing plans that I did in January.  I also decided that a slow time was time to make changes in the store area and adjust my business plan according to my growth.  I laid out a marketing plan just like my business plan with expenses and timeline so I could just cross off the list and report progress from each to see what works well in the future.  Now I am laying out an expansion plan.  I needed to know additional costs to expand in each section and projected profit from each expansion.  Then I started to talk to my customers to see what they were more interested in. 

I feel the store really grew during February and March from the work and lay out of my new plans.  I have replaced all table displays from when I first opened with shelving units that help display items better.  This freed up space to expand the clothing department so I got a few more racks.  These changes allowed my customers to better view all my items for sale.  Each trip I made to replenish groceries that I sold, I got a new product to carry.  Growing over time but in a couple months making a large impact.  I had rearranged the store with all my changes. Customers had to see the changes so they keep coming back. 

I recently expanded into carrying more furniture items and that is a big draw.  Since the weather is getting nicer, I am having sidewalk sales outside so customers can see items from the road to draw attention. 

I have already expanded into a few areas that I wanted to and have a layout of how the business will grow by the end of the year.  I now carry fresh bread items, and over the counter medicines.  My clothing has grown and so has the household items.  I expanded my beverage cooler. My grocery department has doubled from when I first opened.  Sales are growing and have almost doubled from when I first opened. 

I now spend about an hour and 1/2 a week updating information and pictures on Facebook and Craigslist to get the word out about new items.  I am busy enough during the day now, that I am  taking my paperwork home to complete.  I still want more growth, but I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.....

"When you expect things to happen, strangely enough they do happen." J.P. Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment