Thursday, January 10, 2013

Goals for the New Year

As my business continues to grow, I have to keep adjusting my goals.  If I did not make adjustments my business would become stagnant and stop growing.  The more familiar I become with my business the better decisions I can make.  Things did not grow as fast as I expected when I first opened and that was disappointing and I thought I was doing things wrong.  I am finding out that I was not wrong, it takes more time for the seeds that you plant to mature.  As I am now in my second year of business, I am becoming a stronger business woman and my business is maturing.  I have lots of education and experience but even they did not prepare me for the adventure this business has been so far.  So now I am making plans for the upcoming year.

I have gathered data from last years sales and continue to compare to new sales.  I am gathering items for tax filing and I just boxed up 2012 paperwork to start with an empty filing cabinet ready for 2013.  This is only small stuff to finish up except taxes of course.  I have reviewed my business plan and I am working on the list of improvements set for the upcoming year.  I am ready to make some strong investments.  So far this has been all cash investment.  We took all our liquid assets and some from close family to start the shop.  All the improvements so far have been funded from the sales at the store.  I continue to carry new products trying to best serve my customers but I am getting to the point that improvements require much more. 

One of my goals this year is to start expanding my payment methods.  I am really looking at accepting cards by the fall.  The route I want to use at the moment is not available with my current service so I am preparing for the adjustments.  For now please bare with my cash or check services and paypal for online purchases. 

I also want to expand my online sales.  I have been researching a online store and may decide to go that route.  I continue to maintain social media advertising and sales on Craigslist, Facebook, and Ebay.  I have a weekly goal to try and maintain to reach my full potential on my online sales.  Hoping to get a better turnaround and maybe be able to hire employees.

I have until June to complete the handicap ramp that I have been saving for to meet state requirements and look forward to breaking ground on this project in warmer weather.

A few other goals are mostly cosmetic or inside improvements.  I have a few ideas and plans laid out but my savings will determine how much can be done this year and how much must wait another year to complete.  One of these improvements is refrigerators and freezers and food license to carry milk products.  This is at the top of the list but storage is as much as a concern so not sure how it will all work out yet but praying I can address both and then several much smaller improvements. 

My other goal is to start establishing credit for the store.  Right now anything I borrow is personal loans, but as the business grows it should be able to establish credit on its own.  After that happens and if it continues to grow at the steady pace it has my options become limitless.  A longtime goal is to own the location and several expansions to help the community. 

Here is my toast to another great year of growth.
Please share my blog to help others who are just starting out in business.  Let us be the support for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment