Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Suzy's New Homemade Products

In my search for more natural and healthier options for my family I began my looking for all natural products.  My daughters have sensitive skin and each of them break out with different things.  The two of them have reactions to certain laundry detergents so I found this recipe and I tried it.  To my wonder, no reaction from either one.  It didn't stop there because this recipe is unscented and I love freshly washed clothes to have that freshly washed clothing smell.  But that is where the largest chemicals come into play making the selling point of most detergents.  So I took the original recipe and started to add scents but making them all natural.  My favorite coffee shop in Manhattan was one of the first places to add flavor to coffee and the current owner's mother added dried orange peels and nuts to coffee one day and created this wonderful new blend.  So that gave me the idea for my orange recipe to use actual ingredient instead of oils that would risk spotting on clothes.  From there, I have created other scents like lavender and I am working on a rosemary/mint scent.  These are not overpowering and offer the perfect compliment for freshly washed clothing. 

My next product was homemade dishwasher detergent.  I have a great citrus recipe that works great.  I just haven't figured out how to package it yet to sell it so for now it is still my little secret I use for just personal.

My latest creation is a hand scrub made from sea salt.  I was inspired that make this after trying a similar product after eating seafood and it was wonderful in cleaning the smell and seasonings from my hands.  This was I trial and error to get a recipe that was not to firm or to oily but I have it down pat now. My husband expressed concern about if it actually kills the germs too.  So I have made 3 scents that all have natural antibacterial properties in the oils.  Scents available are orange, mint, and lavender.  This is great for daily use and does not dry out your hands.  It is really effective after eating finger foods like seafood or wings to get all those particles that stick around your nails.  Although I strongly share it is not for shower use because of the hazards of falling, my family has found great use for dry cracked feet by sitting beside the tub and scrubbing so it could be used for the entire body.   

One of the great things about my homemade products is how "GREEN" they are.  Since they are all packaged in Mason Jars there is no trash from using these products and I offer a recycle program offering a 50 cent deposit towards your next purchase with the returned jar and lid.  It is recycling and clipping coupons on an already great deal that is healthy for your family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment