Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Reflecting 2013

This has been a year filled with many ups and downs for me and my business.  In the beginning of 2013 I was celebrating major growth and was laying out plans to purchase my location in 2014.  Then  2013 ended with closing my store location and transferring to an online business.  Things seemed to start out really good and people were starting to become regular shoppers.  I was laying out changes and making improvements at a rapid speed.  During the middle of the year we had some growth in the valley and 2 new stores opened and one was on the horizon to be completed by the end of 2013.   I guess you have to change with the flow if you are a survivor and since they had some influence on my growth and sales, I decided to close.  It has been very emotional especially the last 3 months while I have been closing down and saying goodbye.  It's very challenging, as you watch everything you have worked for going out the door for half price and not sure exactly which direction you are heading to, I have never felt so lost.  We joked that we should have held a regular 50% off sale just raise the prices and reduce to half price because people do not always think about what they buy.  They see a bargain and just buy, I saw many people who never shopped in my store before.  I realize that is only a gimmick and only lasts for a short period before you would be discovered as a regular 50% off sale, plus I am not that type of business person.  My best personal traits are compassion, honesty, and customer service and that is a big draw for my business.  My online store has not taken off as I planned mostly because I have not gotten organized yet.  I thought I knew how much stuff I had in that building but I quickly realized I had much more than I realized and moving locations can be crazy.  I am still closing out some loose ends from closing a larger location but I am looking forward to things slowing down after the holidays and spending the much needed time to lay out my business for 2014.  I am sure it will be great and give me more flexibly at home.   Something I am looking forward to, is getting out and seeing those friendly faces I have missed in the coming months.  I have really changed how I am thinking and what kind of products I plan to carry since it is not practical to deliver a 25 cent item. This has been a challenge for me and I know that I'm going to make some mistakes as I try to adjust.  I look forward to setting up several categories on my online fronts so that I can set up times to do pick ups and drop offs as well as look for other new items to carry.  I want to thank everyone who has helped support my business in 2013 and look forward to serving you again in 2014.  Wishing you all a safe and blessed New Year!

"Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius and power and magic in it."
~Goethe~

No comments:

Post a Comment