Friday, February 17, 2012

2nd month

For those who have missed my daily additions, I have spent the week changing seasons.  For those who work retail, this is very familiar to you.  For those who haven't this means discounting last seasons items then packing away what didn't sell.  Also means you need to change every angle of the store to new season.  When the season matches the weather season, that means you have double inventory to change.  Suzy's now has spring and summer items out and we have started to put out Easter items. Now I begin the second month of Suzy's. 

My second month started off very slow in comparison.  I was concerned the novelty had worn off.  I still had new customers, some from far away as they get off the turnpike.  I kept reinvesting the money I made after the monthly bills were paid.  This month, I expanded my shelving racks.  When I first opened, I didn't have any clothing racks so that was our first priority, but now I wanted to be able to display more items.  My motto is you can not make a sale if it is in the back room.  The first row of shelves were completed. 

This month went by much slower than last, and I had many days that I wondering if the store would survive a year.  Over all, I think the second month was the most stressful for me so far.  It was November and I had changed seasons to Christmas items as most prominent since I was not open long enough to have large fall display for Thanksgiving.  Christmas is a make it or break time of year.  Christmas items sell themselves with out needing a push.  I was not even close to being as busy as I expected.  After being in management for years in retail, I was so prepared for the day to day stresses of the Christmas season and they never came.  Hindsight being 20/20 as they say, I was busier than I thought I was because my totals for the month were better than the month before.  In business growth is good no matter how small.  I also know it takes time to build the volume of stores that have been open for years.  I was so used to large volumes that I was not able to enjoy and see the volume I had in the store. 

"Every artist was first an amateur" Ralph Emerson

One day, I had someone from West Virginia stop by from the turnpike asking for directions, they enjoyed my store so much they now stop every time the pass by.  This feeling is awesome.  Someone thinks so highly of my store they get off the interstate every time they come through which it about once a month.  Now I am starting to be known outside of this small valley.  This made me think outside the box more with Internet sales.  I have that in my business plan but not right away since I needed many basics first.  I looked and found some free advertising like on Google.  I have a little bubble now on Google maps and you can Google me and get an address and phone.  I also put another ad in local paper this month to boost knowledge that I am here. 

On another note, this is great advertising opportunity I have used in the past but has not been an option here yet.  If you have small group of businesses that want to share advertising expense, you can combine ads to make a larger ad and get more attention.  Like stop by and get lunch here, grab a sweater here, and so on.  You can sometimes combine Radio and TV this way too.  In tight times you have to think out side the box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment