Saturday, February 4, 2012

Stepping stones of starting a business.

So you have been thinking about starting a business.  Great, that is first step.  There are many books and resources to help you along the way.  In this section I will share some basic resources that I personally used.  It can be very overwhelming and a lot of work to plan and research your business.  This is just sample of what is to come.  Business is not for everyone but can be rewarding for those who continue the journey. I want to make sure that I share that I have started both of my businesses in Pennsylvania and the laws are different for each state as well as each local districts. 

"The first step to getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are".  Unknown

I want to share that the books or web sites that I mention are my own experiences and that I get no royalties to advertise them.  I started this blog to assist other business owners and myself.  It worked for me and I hope to give back and help you. 

My favorite resource for starting a business is the Small Business Administration and their website is www.sba.gov.  On their site they have checklists, training, and resource links to each individual state for license and tax requirements.  They also offer Free online training.

A resource that is common in Pennsylvania is the Small Business Development Centers.  They assign you a consultant and they help you each step of the way.  They get you contacts of people you need and help with the license process.  They also offer help with writing a business plan and offer Free Classes.  Starting a business is expensive so I for one love anything Free plus you can take a course even before you start planning a business.  The services they offer are free at this point.  The government has decided it is better to assist new business owners rather than enforce issues later with licensing and taxes (they offer some government funding to this program).  They have training available in Shippensburg, Gettysburg, Carlisle, and York.  I used this service and it is great for a first time owner.  I was able to use the information they provided and the skills I already had to find out what I needed to start operations.  If you do not live in Pennsylvania, I encourage you to check with any business colleges to see if they offer anything from their business students(kids always have service projects to complete to graduate).  Also see if a SBA in your area has a Business Development Center.  The website for my local SBDC is www.ship.edu/sbdc/.

Some key things to consider before writing your business plan:

Assistance and training
Location
Finance options
Legal Structure
Insurance
Tax registration
Licensing
Employer Responsibilities
State and Local Permits

"From small beginnings come great things".  Unknown

Now you are ready to begin the next step.  Deciding your business idea or direction. Are you going to sell something or some service?  If so what?  Where is the need for that item?  Are you starting an online business?  Once you start answering these questions you will be able to apply the information above.  Start thinking about your goal and I will talk about that next. Wishing you good luck on your journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment